Pages

Friday 18 September 2015

BSc (Hons) Midwifery

Rachel
Hi! My name’s Rachel, and I have just finished my second year in BSc Midwifery. When I speak to people about my course, I get a LOT of questions. No, not everybody poos themselves, and no, I haven’t been put off having children…

Studying Midwifery is one of the most rewarding, albeit challenging things I have ever done. Although it can be a lot of fun, getting up at 5.30am for placements and being perpetually tired can definitely wear you down by the end of the year!

If you are starting Midwifery, or any healthcare course at the University, you’re about to embark on a life-changing experience. The staff and tutors at the University are very patient and understanding, many of which have co-written the textbooks you will be reading and have a plethora of knowledge and experience. You are assigned not only a personal tutor, who you can talk to about any problems or worries you have, but also a “link lecturer”, who will visit you on placements for a cup of tea and a chat about your progress. If I had any advice for Year 1 me, it would be to engage with your tutors as much as possible, they can be so helpful and understanding.

It is important to remember that life doesn’t end once you start a healthcare course. I would thoroughly recommend engaging with the vast array of sports and society groups the university has to offer. Although the health care courses have placements as well as lectures, seminars, exams, essays and OSCEs (Objective structured clinical examinations) it is possible to maintain a social life and even squeeze in a part time job! I have managed to pass both years with no re-sits, as well as being an active member of the university hockey team and getting a part time job within the Enquiry Unit, here at the university. Not only is playing a sport a great way to keep fit and unwind after perhaps a difficult week on placement, it is also a fantastic way to meet people and make friends outside of your course. Although the people in your cohort will be a backbone of support for you during the next three years, it’s sometimes nice to meet up with people where you don’t have to talk about blood, wee, placentas and baby vomit!

So to wrap up, my biggest tips for the next few years are to relax, try not panic on your first day of placement, buy a bucket load of black pens (trust me on this one), a decent stethoscope (never lend them to anyone, you will never see it again…) and try and have fun! I remember my first day here like it was yesterday, and now I’m going into third year! It goes so fast. So try and enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment