Pages

Thursday 17 September 2015

BSc (Hons) Mathematics

Gurpreet
Heya! My name is Gurpreet, mainly known as Preeti, and I will be entering my third year of BSc Mathematics this September! Yes, I repeat I study Mathematics. Not all, but some of you may be a little freaked by this since its Maths, but do not fear, I am here; to give you a full insight of Maths at the UoG.

Mathematics is one of those subjects you either love or hate or to an extreme feel disgusted by it and feel it’s ‘the killer’ subject.  In pure honesty, it’s really not. I believe that no matter how difficult you may find a subject, the only method of transforming it to ‘easy’, is to have the right attitude, the commitment, the hard work and most importantly having faith. If you are able to maintain these factors, you are able accomplish anything! Anyways, moving on from the seriousness let me share with you the journey which got me to where I am today J

Mathematics was always my favourite subject and a strong point throughout my school days. Until today and forever, I will always find it intriguing and joyful when solving and figuring out a mathematical question and the challenge it brings. I completed my GCSE Maths a year early and studied Maths, Further Maths and Finance for A Levels. Because of my strong passion and desire for Mathematics I instantly knew that I wanted to further study the subject at university.  

Before starting University, I thought that I wouldn’t need to work as hard, as I was at an advantage because I had studied Further Maths. I also thought the workload would be less, as first year doesn’t count towards the degree. However, this was the wrong attitude to take! The workload was heavier than I’d anticipated and you really need to be able to stay on top of things and organise your time. Don’t get me wrong, you are able to have fun, but do not get too carried away.  The first year of study is the groundwork for much of the deeper learning later on.  For those who are interested in doing a placement year or an internship, companies do look at your first year grades so be aware of this!

The University provides many opportunities for students and graduates with employability skills. During first year, I took part in the IBM Mentoring scheme which took place over six months. It gave me the opportunity to work with a professional in order to develop my employability skills, communication skills, set goals and build my CV. I found this opportunity helpful as it developed the vital skills needed for when applying for jobs.

Second year you are more knuckled down and focused as modules tend to get harder, but the course becomes more interesting! From being taught the basics of Maths, you begin to learn in depth the different uses and applications of Maths. Throughout second year, you are further supported in gaining employability skills. Mock interviews, workshops, CV building, work experience is all available for students to participate in.

Whilst learning, as a way to keep fit, a group of friends and I attend Avery Hill to play badminton! I find it’s a good way to keep off stress and allows you to spend quality time with your friends. (Even though I may be a little aggressive towards them when it comes to competition, but they know I love them! J )


Anyways, moving on, time at university has flown and the next thing you know graduation is right around the corner! With that said, make the most of University whilst you can! My advice is to work hard, be passionate and be optimistic but to also enjoy.  Also keep up to date with my upcoming blogs where I will take you through my experiences and highlights of life in final year, including my strops and grumbles about workload and deadlines! 

No comments:

Post a Comment