Pages

Thursday 5 September 2013

BSc (Hons) Maths, Computing and Statistics

Imrana
Hi, my name is Imrana, I just completed the first year of BSc Maths, Computing and Statistics. I really enjoyed the first year of Maths because it was a different challenge to the one I expected. I thought that I would be stuck in my room all the time, staring at Pythagoras and working out what he wrote; when in fact; we just expanded on things that we already learnt at college.

From the start of college till the end, time flew by and before I knew it, I was applying for universities and I wasn't sure if I was ready to go yet. However, I heard a lot of good things about Greenwich whilst I was at college. People told me that the lecturers were very helpful and the facilities were great. At first I was reluctant to apply but eventually it made more sense and I decided it was time to go. Not long after, we started and within the first week I realised that they were actually being serious. It was surprising to see how much help they give you with course work and tutorials. Course works were given to us months in advance, which was helpful because it gave us a lot of time to get everything right.

I knew what I was getting myself into beforehand, since I knew people that did Maths at Greenwich, including my sister. When I saw how much hard work and effort was expected in order to achieve the grades, I thought I would fail. But eventually, it became obvious that you can’t get anywhere without hard work, which I was prepared to do. And you had to stay positive, because giving up before you've even tried would guarantee failure.

A normal week in first year Maths involved four, two-hour lectures and four one-hour tutorials. We had to go in three days a week and had two group projects, both in which we had to write a report and do a presentation. Course works were generally easier than exams, simply because we had more time. However, if you did them properly, then exams would be relatively straightforward as well.

There are not many institutions that are prepared to help students as much as Greenwich. I would tell anybody to do Maths at Greenwich, because everything from the lecturers and the facilities and support that is given to students is of a very high standard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment