Pages

Tuesday 3 September 2013

BA (Hons) Accounting & Finance

Martha
Every time I tell someone I study Accounting & Finance at university, their response is always along the lines of “OMG”, “Wow that must be tricky”, “ How do you do it?”, “What else can you do with that apart from become an Accountant?”. The list is endless LOL. Personally, I find it quite amusing that I am faced with these kinds of questions because my course fits perfectly well with me.

I chose my course purely because I love Maths and Economics. While I was studying for my GCSE’s I really enjoyed Maths and Business classes, from there I went onto study A-level Economics and I realised that I am quite good at it in comparison to the other subjects I studied. Once I got to university and became familiar with the course content and I realised this is very similar if not the same as what I studied at A-level. Some people prefer to finish their Level 3 Qualifications (A-levels, BTECs, IBs etc.) and start a whole different subject at Degree level. However, for me I feel like this was the best way forward which is mainly the reason why I managed to get a First in my first year.

The course content within first year consists of the following courses:

Personal and Professional Development which is a mandatory course taken by all if not most students in the Business school. It is only taught in term one and term two we had various assessments to complete which were explained clearly online.

Introduction to Financial Accounting which is basically how companies prepare their annual reports, how they are structured and how they keep record of transactions made in the business. They also give you different formats for different types of businesses i.e. sole traders and public or private limited companies. This includes quite a bit of maths and calculations.

Management Accounting and Business Ethics in Organisations. This module has two sections, the Management/ Cost accounting side and the Ethics in Organisations side. Right, now if we start with the management accounting side of this module, this looks at budgets for different departments within a business and how they can use various methods to ensure they have budgeted for the goods or services provided by the business. This also includes maths and quite a lot of calculations so it’s best to be prepared. Now, the Business Ethics in organisations part of the module can be nick named ‘common sense’. This part purely consists of behaviour in the workplace and how to behave ethical at all times in the work environment. It also involved learning different theories of management styles and applying those theories to various case studies in order to answer questions on the case study. This part includes barely any calculations at all. At the beginning of my first year I was quite sceptical about this whole module and I assumed I would find it very challenging however this was the module which came above all my other module in that I got 80% for this overall. So I would say don’t worry yourself too much. Towards exam time lecturers make sure we have all the information we need before doing the exams, particularly for this module.

Quantitative Analysis & Systems.  Now this was the most fun course of them all. Essays? - None, Reports and projects? -  One or Two, Calculations & Maths Questions?  -  Lots. If you have studied A-Level maths, with a bit of extra practice and effort in Lectures and tutorials this will be your best friend. Oh yes!  And if you love Maths like me of course. It includes the following topics you may all be familiar of: Algebra, Normal Distribution, Probability, Percentages and Time Value of money etc. It is really straight forward; particularly in tutorials the one to one support is always available when needed.

Then we have Business & Financial Environment which is basically A-level Economics.  Again there are two parts, Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. This in involves all the current issues in the economy, different economic theories and structures and how they may affect individuals and firms, or a whole sector/ industry.

Now just to wrap-up and make sure you aren't worried about any of the information I have provided you with. There is PLENTY of help available from Lectures and the course leader for this course. You can contact them anytime via email and they all get back to you as soon as possible. You can also make appointments to see lecturers and your personal tutor who helps you with and queries you have in and around the course and also other personal issues if you need help or advice.

If you are what I call a “Go Getter” there are various opportunities in the university and in the business school that you can enquire about. Apart from doing my degree at the university I also work as a Student ambassador where I visit schools and offer support for students who wish to study at university. I also work for the Enquiry Unit so some of you reading this may have spoken to me or someone on the team about coming into the university. There are also other options of helping out at university Open Days etc. Working in campus shops, the list is endless.

Oh yes and the two GREEEAAAT things about this course are that there is no dissertation in the third year so hopefully the stress is minimal and also if you go on to do the ACA Qualification there a quite a few exemptions from the papers providing you have passed the relevant modules.

That’s all from me now, hopefully you hear from me soon.


Martha :D  

No comments:

Post a Comment