Pages

Monday 2 September 2013

BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance

Devi
Hi there! My name is Devi and I am currently studying Accounting and Finance BA (Hons) in the Business School on the Greenwich Maritime Campus. In my opinion I think the Greenwich campus is the best one to study at – no offence to the other campuses! The scenery and setting is so peaceful (unless it’s a Friday night) and the heritage buildings add the Harry Potter effect when you’re studying! Well that’s how I felt :P especially at Christmas when it snows!

Accounting and Finance is based on a variety of topics which is why I decided to pick the course, I don’t enjoy studying or working in a specific order which is consistent and repetitive. In the first year there were five modules:
1.       Management Accounting
2.       Financial Accounting
3.       Personal and Professional Development
4.       Business and Financial Environment
5.       Quantitative Analysis
I have enjoyed studying all these modules but there were two in particular which I found quite challenging, Management and Financial Accounting. It’s important to grasp the basic concepts in the first year because once you move onto second year next thing you know you’re studying ADVANCED management and financial accounting! Yeah it’s a killer I know…
But hard work and dedication will always get you far especially in university, it’s not about who is the cleverest anymore, it’s about who makes the time for their studies and the ability to prioritise tasks.
When you go into second year you can choose one of your modules and the remaining three are compulsory. It’s nice to be able to make a choice on which module you wish to study, I chose banking as one of my modules because I want to (hopefully) go into investment banking once I've graduated from Greenwich J.  
What I love about this course is the fact that it’s both numbers and English based so it’s not always about the maths and how good you are with the calculations. There are definitely more number based modules than the English based but the coursework and some questions in the exams test you on your writing skills giving it a nice balance. The lecturers are really helpful when it comes to finding certain topics difficult, they respond to your e-mails and arrange times for meetings to discuss what you need to.
Another benefit of the programmes in the Business School is the Employability Passport which enables you to attend networking events once you have collected a specific number of points from extra-curricular activities. The Greenwich Employability Team also provides a lot of support for fixing up your CV and finding undergraduate and postgraduate jobs. The GET Jobshop provides so many opportunities for you to apply for jobs and I got one of my summer jobs applying through the Jobshop which has been a great help. Along with this, there is the option of completing a sandwich degree which allows you to gain one year’s worth of experience with your chosen company.

The best aspect of the Accounting and Finance programme is that, the staff actually takes the time and effort to train you through your degree and make sure you’re ready and prepped up when you enter the frenzied business world!

No comments:

Post a Comment