Pages

Tuesday 3 September 2013

BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance

Jahin
It does seem like a long time ago since I stepped into the lecture room, (the busiest you shall ever see a lecture theatre, being the first of the entire course). Our principal lecturer settles us all down and proceeds to give a summary of our next three years. I still remember the hustle and bustle to find a seat, as the room slowly fills, walking up the stairs to only see full up rows and an odd seat somewhere near the middle,  apologising in a shy manner as you make half a row get up as you awkwardly edge past them. You look around for a friendly face and all that returns are blank stares. The persons sitting on either side are engulfed in conversation somewhere, and being a socially awkward person at the time I just sat there like a penguin.  I can happily say that was only one day of awkwardness, I just happened to bump into one of my best mates to be the very next day, as we both had come late and unwillingly sat at the front of the tutorial (something you will fight for in the final year). 

Now enough reminiscing and onto the course itself, to get away from the façade being pivotal to all organisations, it is usually regarded as a dreary boring subject. That was what I thought as well; however I walked into this degree with optimism. After learning the basics, (some basics being too basic) you really get a grip of why accounting is so important. Financial accounting lays everything down in black and white, telling you how the company looks according to the numbers. It is what you would usually expect from an accountant, the bookkeeper, checking inflows and outflows of cash. Then I learnt about audit. Audit itself was probably my third favourite module of them all, like the patrol of an organisation, making sure no one is misbehaving. Audit is hard to explain even when studying as there is a considerable amount of theory to learn, but it’s one of those subjects where in the end it all clicks, and you see how everything is linked with audit, and it’s the backbone of the company. Modules such as finance are more to do with numbers, methods, formulas, stock valuations, raising finance. My two were favourite modules, management accounting and tax. The latter is self-explanatory, we all get taxed, it’s about how we get taxed, how to work out tax, and any tax returns you can get, and everything that you are legally allowed to do to pay as less tax as possible. Management accounting was my favourite for one reason. It doesn't matter how you got the answer as long as you get it. I am a problem solver, and I try to use logic rather than standard to solve something, and in management accounting it’s all about making the best of what you have, planning for the future and seeing how you can save money in the most efficient manner possible. That explanation doesn’t do it justice, in your first lecture for the module, within the first 10 minutes, the first lecture example will sum it all up in a beautiful nutshell, I promise!

This is the very first blog I have ever written so I do apologise if I go on a bit, or the course seems dreary it really isn’t. The lecturers are great, there is plenty of banter in the classes, and they are very interactive. The support you receive is always on hand, you just have to take initiative and show that you want that First! The teachers really do care about you, and you realise that come the final year, even your first year lecturers stop and ask you how it’s all going. Majority of lecturers have first-hand experience in working in the industry and really push for you to gain a placement and a job. They tell you how the theory and real life practical methods differ slightly, and the hot topics to talk about to impress interviewers.  

I’m proud to say I've graduated from University of Greenwich especially from Accounting and Finance. With my exemptions gained and a 1st class, it has really set me up to move down the path of being chartered and getting a good job.

The parties were awesome, the people were wicked; we had some crazy stories to tell and plenty of photos for memories. Also around Greenwich we always had good food to eat (something that pleased me and my friends a lot). Although it seems far-fetched, after 5 hours in the dark realm that is the silent area of the library, you come outside reeking of the special blend that is coffee, energy drinks and cigarettes, walking through the cool breeze along the river, only to look up at the mesmerising night sky view of Canary Wharf and just telling yourself that one day you will be up there, it really is motivating to get back in the library and just carry on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment