Pages

Monday 2 September 2013

BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance

Currently I’m transitioning into my second year of my Accounting and Finance, BA Hons degree. I enjoyed the first year but it went very quickly. During the year I studied five modules, which included introduction to financial accounting, business and financial environment, quantitative analysis and systems, professional and personal development in addition to management accounting and ethics in organisations.

The support I received during my course was amazing as my tutors were always there to help and give me more feedback on my work.  I enjoyed studying four  of my modules especially quantitative analysis and systems mainly because it was all maths based as well as business and financial environment which I was most confident about because I knew plenty about this subject. The module that I did not enjoy the most is management accounting and ethics in organisations, because after learning most of the practical in term one along with all the theory and we were then taught what remained of the practical syllabus afterwards. As you can imagine this would be very confusing.

Whilst on the course I was introduced the employability passport which many of the business school students would know about. At first I was sceptical about taking part in it but after going to various seminars and collecting points from a range of events and activities, I was able to see what else I did during the year which was great. I joined different programmes which were offered to assist me as an accounting and finance student like the IBM mentoring scheme and the employability classes. This allowed me to learn more about my options as well as being more involved and meeting new people. 

A subject that was brought up during the year was placements. I had no clue what that meant but after hearing about other students experiences in addition to learning more about it, I was able to understand the benefits and why the business school gave many talks about the topic. After taking everything into consideration I decided to change the mode of my course to a four year programme. Now I am applying for placements and I am hoping to gain a placement with one of the top four accounting firms.

Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment