Pages

Monday 2 September 2013

BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS

Anna
After a tough but worthwhile first year, I’m about to start my second year with a bag of knowledge and self- top tips for this year. Having done the access course and my college teacher telling me the first year at university is a walk in the park; this could not have been further from the truth.

It hit me hard, the work load is heavy, the extra studying you have to do outside of university hours is a lot and going into a classroom is harder because you have to teach. The hardest part is controlling the class; when there are 30 four and five year olds wriggling around on the carpet whilst you’re being observed teaching a phonics lesson, which goes towards passing or failing your first year.

I forgot that as a primary school teacher you have to teach Physical Education, this was not my favourite subject at school; in fact I never turned up for it. But to pass the module in university, I had to turn up and I had to participate and surprise, surprise I actually enjoyed it.  I even surprised myself by getting my highest mark of the year in the Physical Development assignment. I have learnt not to doubt myself and to get stuck in rather than sitting on the side-lines.

This course is not a walk in the park but it is so rewarding. I have met so many great people and the tutors and staff are so supportive; you may hit a mental, physical, emotional block but I kept telling myself and my mum kept reminding me, ‘you’re training you’re not meant to be amazing straight away.’ You only learn from your mistakes and the best teachers don’t always stick to their plans. If things are going wrong, you have to keep calm, think on your feet and be creative; at the end of the day it’s about the children if they’re not learning, I’m not doing my job properly.

My top tips for this year are:
  • Use the library throughout the year (not just in April)
  • Do assignments when you get them, not at the last minute.
  • Plan your time (part-time jobs, university and school is a tough combo)
  • Have down time, RELAX and enjoy yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment