Pages

Friday 24 August 2012

BSc (Hons) Computer Systems and Software Engineering

Danielle
Computer Systems and Software Engineering had always been the course for me.  I have a background of IT professionals within the family that have encouraged me in pursuing a profession in the IT industry.  My interest in software engineering came to me at the age of 14.  I didn't know much about it but in order for me to gain a better understanding; I did some research and gathered information. 

The information gained was helpful.  It directed me on my path through education i.e. what subjects to do at A-levels and what the entry requirements were in order to get a place at a good university.  The A-levels that I decided to take were:  Maths, Chemistry and ICT. These subjects were decided based on the relevance to the Software Engineering course that I wanted to do.  Unfortunately, I did not get a place at my chosen universities as I did not meet the entry requirements for the course there.

Luckily, going through Clearing, I first contacted University of Greenwich and got a place on my desired course “Computer Systems and Software Engineering”.  I was overly excited about the offer and thankful that University of Greenwich were able to give me a place on their degree course.

I attended the university with an open mind but had one or two doubts that the course would be hard especially as I was making the transition from college doing A-levels to University doing a degree. I had heard stories from past graduates that went through the same experience as me. They were a mix of feedback/ stories about university but I wanted to make my own judgements. 

The first days of lectures came.  They were a big eye opener.  I felt slightly unknowledgeable about the actual degree course and some of the module contents.  As time progressed, I developed the skills and knowledge from the course.  I gained new friendships from both students on my course and students around the campus.  I found that the lectures and the lecturers were understandable, helpful and informative.  I only have good words to say about the lecturers.  They are always around if you need them.  I also found it nice that the people within my course were friendly and willing to help whenever in need.  The group as a whole are very supportive, work well in teams and very sociable.  I would have never imagined. 

The experience overall was amazing.  My first year went very well, I learnt a lot. The course was made up of exams, assignments/ projects and assessments which I liked and did well in. There was hardly any pressure to get everything done.  As I am an organised person, I like to get things done straightaway.  Some advice though:  ‘Never wait for last minute’.  The work will pile up on you.

Thank God I PASSED!!  Now for 2nd year, I wonder what that will begin.

The Computer Systems and Software Engineering course definitely is AMAZING!! 

If you’re interested in computers, technology, have a broad idea of programming and software, then Computer Systems software engineering is for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment