Pages

Friday 24 August 2012

BA (Hons) Physical Education and Sport

Alex
My name is Alex Woods and I am studying BA Hons Physical Education and sport.

After spending a year working in a local comprehensive school as a Teaching Assistant I was certain I wanted to complete a degree in Physical Education which would allow me to eventually become a P.E teacher.

I attended a few open days around the country and found the academics at Greenwich particularly helpful and passionate about the subject. They have an ability to transfer their own passion for the subject into the subject through lectures and practice sessions; this makes a huge difference in a student’s commitment to the course.  The Greenwich campus is full of historic buildings steeped in beautiful architecture and is next to the Greenwich Park which makes it a lovely place to study.  Initially I was rather upset at being based on the Avery Hill campus but after making use of the free shuttle bus to the Greenwich campus and Avery Hill Park I found it hard to complain. Also the campus has a community feel to it which makes you feel very secure.

My course is a particularly popular one and it’s nice to study with people who also share such an interest in sport, although daunting at being in a lecture theatre with 80 other people! Dance sessions quickly bring practical groups together and help you form friendships; even if it is through embarrassing yourself!

The lectures are taught in a professional manner but do not include the jargon you can expect in other subjects; the tutors also supply you with lots of discourse and opportunity to read around the subjects you are studying. I particularly enjoyed the Policy module this year, although I’m aware many others found it to be dense and perhaps even boring I enjoyed learning about how the curriculum is structured the way it is and what forces change. The way a political ideology can influence sporting success and participation is something I haven’t looked into before. Policy in sport changes all time and the coalition coupled with the effects of the buzzword ‘legacy’ (referring to the Olympic legacy) make policy an extremely interesting area to study. The second year brings more practical work and a more detailed look at theoretical aspect of Physical Education. Studying biomechanics and physiology can be very confusing but after apply yourself in the first year you should be able to cope by drawing on the knowledge you have already gained.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the first year of my course and am really looking forward to starting the second year. The tutor’s willingness to support you and the positive, friendly atmosphere the staff and other students create on course motivates me to achieve and reach my potential.  During the third year you are given the opportunity to pick modules of study and conduct an independent which means you get the opportunity to further study the most enjoyable parts of your course.

After graduating I hope to complete a PGCE and become a qualified teacher. I goal is to use the knowledge I have gain over 3 years and my qualified teacher status to travel the world whilst physical education in developing countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment