Pages

Friday 24 August 2012

BA (Hons) Marketing

Christeena
Some people may consider marketing to be all about people who try and manipulate people into purchasing items which they may not necessarily need by using multiple techniques. On one side it is true but on the other there is a totally different story.

When I first came into contact with the whole academic side of marketing I was only 15 and doing my GCSE’s. At that point like most young teenagers, I had never considered that, this was the road I would be going down in the future. During college when I was doing a BTEC National Diploma I came across the subject again, but in more detail. This was really the stage that made me open my eyes to the vastly growing topic that is marketing. By having simply a taster of the different directions in which it could lead into in the future, I took the step and decided to do it as a degree at University. When it came to choosing where I would study my degree for me personally there was no option except for Greenwich. This was because of a mixture of mainly personal reasons as well as the wide range of courses offered for marketing, the way they taught it (presentations, lectures, real campaign building, stories and case studies) and the deal was sealed when I attended one of the open days and spoke to the head of the department.

For me, I consider marketing to be like the Chinese yin & yang, made up of complimenting forces that help create a dynamic system. On one side there is;

YIN –  the regulations which guide and create the rules of marketing to ensure the safety as well as protection of consumers, their rights and to ensure that all forms of marketing are ethical and in compliance to the set regulations.

And,

YANG – companies who are using marketing to communicate with consumers their messages and products or services.

I never thought about how complex marketing was before I started studying the subject, but it is a subject which draws you in and manages to entertain your mind through the wide variety of different aspects it includes. Whilst studying marketing I have learnt that it is highly regulated and whilst studying the topic you learn and expand your knowledge of the rules and regulations stated by numerous regulators, the ASA being one of them. You also understand the processes behind the reason for marketing campaigns.  Not only do you learn about simply marketing but also the business world, how companies’ hierarchy affects marketing, logistics, branding of products, communications, and the list is endless. Marketing can be the strongest form of communication between consumer and organisation if done right. It is not only for profit organisations marketing is also a vital part in helping charities spread their awareness.

Social marketing is just one area which you learn about and this is the area which has captivated my interest. Being able to guide people to making choices about helping not just themselves but other through their behaviours including their decision process, to me is the best form of marketing.  Marketing is such a powerful industry to be a part of, as everywhere you look there is some form of marketing, whether it is a logo, a slogan, a poster or a T.V campaign. I aspire to be part of the industry which can help make a difference not simply financially but in a general positive way.

The course at Greenwich gives you a unique take on the subject with the tutor’s incredible background in the topic some of which have worked for companies like BT and Honda and they are all amazing at teaching and introducing the students into the world of marketing by teaching us from the experience they have gained.
This is a quote I was introduced to by one of my tutors; to me this is a perfect way to explain what marketing is all about and what we do. For me it explains that although you may think you know yourself it is with the help of others around you that lead and guide you to the places and decision you take in your future.

“…Since you always lived inside your own head, you were much better at seeing the truth about others than you ever were at seeing yourself. So you navigated your life with the help of others who held up mirrors for you. People praised your good habits and criticized your bad habits, and these perspectives – often surprising to you – helped you to guide your life. So poorly did you know yourself that you were always surprised at how you looked in photographs or how you sounded on voice mail.”

Eagleman, D (2009), Sum, Edinburgh: Cannongate Books

No comments:

Post a Comment