Pages

Thursday 4 September 2014

LLB (Hons) Law

Jane
Hi, my name is Jane and I have just completed my first year of studying the Law LLB at the University of Greenwich.


I have always known I wanted to attend University and when it became time to start applying I was adamant the University of Kent is where I wanted to study, I had heard so many good things about the University and all my teachers encouraged me to go. However, three days after sending of my UCAS application, the University of Greenwich phoned me to give me a conditional offer and invite me to an Open Day; I was not expecting to get any offers that quickly. Within the next few weeks/months I also received conditional offers from my other choices (including the University of Kent); although no other University personally contacted me which is another reason that contributed towards me choosing Greenwich. On arrival at the Open Day, I was blown away by the beautiful campus and where it was located within London. Obviously like any new student, I was extremely nervous but the staff at Greenwich expected and understood that. Everyone was so welcoming that I already felt like part of the University. I did not anticipate just how much I would love Greenwich. This was the first Open Day at a University that I had attended but they made such a good and long lasting impression I didn’t feel I needed to go to anymore. So instead, that night I went home and rejected all of my other offers (even Kent!) and put Greenwich as my firm!

In my first year I studied, Constitutional and Administrative Law (also known as public law), Contract Law, Crime and Problem Solving, Legal Skills, Criminal Law and Civil Liberties. Before I started previous first years had spoken to us and told us how intense they found public law so if you do have any struggles or difficulties with it, it’s completely normal so don’t panic! There are so many people who can help you such as other students, tutors, law parents (this goes for any problem, not just public law). Because I was made aware of the intensity I was prepared to hate public law! But it was actually my favourite thing to study, it is intense and sometimes confusing but it’s also enjoyable if the subject area is of interest to you. I also thoroughly enjoyed civil liberties and criminal law.

The first year did have its tough moments where I questioned whether this was something I could get through but it is doable. Law is an intense and difficult subject but the staff and students at Greenwich are always more than willing to help with any issues anyone has. I personally found it really helpful to ask my law parent for help and they will make so much time for you. Due to the amazing law parent I had, I have now opted to become one myself because I know how frustrating it can be if you’re sitting at home preparing for seminars and literally just want to throw all your books in the bin and give up! Being a law parent means I can help first years in the same way I was helped and any law parent will be more than happy to assist you with any problems (it helps us refresh our memory too!).

I am anxious about going into my second year because obviously things get tougher but I have confidence that I will get through it and it’s my tutors and fellow students that helped me gain that confidence. At University everyone is so helpful, sociable and encouraging; you never have to feel alone!

Overall, my aim is not to scare you about how tough law can be because as much as it can be tough, it can also be fun and enjoyable because the University makes it that way! It’s a tough subject to study but if you’ve chosen that course you obviously have the passion and commitment to proceed. I cannot stress enough how much this University is there literally 24/7 to help you 100% with any problems. The first year is important because you need to pass and the skills taught you will definitely need in the second and third year but the first year is also fun. My advice would be to study hard and no matter how stressed you are, don’t give up. Law is difficult but not impossible to learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment