Pages

Friday 5 September 2014

BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance

Melissa
Hi! My name is Melissa and I have just finished my first year of BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance.

In sixth form I studied A Levels in Biology, Maths and Psychology. Throughout sixth form I was choosing to study in either the science or finance field.

I have always wondered what Accountants actually do; most people mention Maths and numbers. Throughout my first year I have learnt that there is so much more to Accounting and how important Accounting is to every company and individual. Accountants use financial information from the past and present to plan for decisions in the future.

The course involved four exams at the end of the year, assignments and assessments. During the week we had four lectures and four one-hour tutorials for each module and I attended university three days a week.

The modules I completed in the first year were; Introduction to Financial Accounting, Management Accounting and Ethics in Organisations, Quantitative Analysis and Systems, Personal and Professional Development (PPD) and Business and Financial Environment. The first three modules were taught throughout the year, PPD was taught during the first term and Business and Financial Environment was taught in the last term.

One of the best things about Greenwich is the fact that there is a lot of help available as the lecturers are approachable and very supportive. Also the Business School offers a great deal of support through the Greenwich Employability Passport, drop in sessions and workshops. I attended the weekly employability seminars and participated in the IBM Mentoring Scheme both opportunities enabled me to know more about possible career choices and improve my employability skills.  The GET Jobshop offers many opportunities for students to apply for jobs; this summer I took the opportunity to work for the university in the enquiry unit during clearing, this gave me a chance to gain experience at the same time as earning money.

I am glad I made the choice to study at Greenwich because I have enjoyed my first year experience, I have met new people, I have learnt a lot and I am looking forward to starting my second year!

No comments:

Post a Comment