Pages

Friday 5 September 2014

BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science

Aiste
Hello, my name is Aiste and I study BSc Biomedical Science. I have just completed my first year and I am looking forward to start the second year, even though I was told by everyone that it is going to be extremely difficult and busy.

Coming to study at University of Greenwich for me was a big challenge. Firstly, because I had not been to England before so I did not know what to expect and I did not know anyone here. Secondly, I had to leave my family and travel here alone; I am from Lithuania – a tiny, but very nice country in Europe. However, so far I have not regretted this choice. I met the most amazing people I could ever meet; I have friends from different parts of the world and I am sure that with some of the people we will stay friends forever – now we are a big family.

I found it very helpful to participate in international students events. In Medway campus there is lady called Lynne – she works at university chaplaincy and takes care of all internationals. We have meetings every Tuesday where we discuss different topics, play games, have theme parties and in this way have our English improved. On Wednesdays there is ‘World CafĂ©’ – free coffee, cakes for all the students, games to relax in between lectures and chance to meet new people. So if you will be studying in Medway campus do not be afraid to come to Blake building where the Student Centre is! Lynne also organises Sunday lunch – students go to different local families where they can familiarise with British culture, traditions, eating habits :D .

But now about the course…  Personally I found it much easier than studying at college. Maybe because I already knew most of the things I was taught, the only difficulty was just to learn everything in English and to get use to new teaching system. As a student you are a grown up; it means that you are the only one who is responsible for your future. Lecturers won`t remind you all the time about upcoming deadlines or coursework you will need to do. They will just give you the date of when it has to be handed in and it is up to you on how you manage your time effectively around other things you do. But if you will constantly work from the beginning of the course, if you will be able to manage your time and there won`t be any problems. Also at university we do not have such a busy timetable as at college. Usually there are four modules each term, so for each subject there is just one lecture per week that takes about two hours. The rest of the time is for your personal study. As I said before, everything now depends on you.

When I saw the titles of my first assignments or when I got a task to write a lab report I was quite scared. I have never done anything like this before and I thought that I will struggle a lot. But professors, lecturers, personal tutors are really helpful; they are trying to do their best to help students and I found it very nice of them. Throughout my life until I came to university, I thought that all the professors are very arrogant, I felt that they try to prove that they have achieved much more than the students sitting in front of them, but coming to Greenwich changed this misleading opinion about them. It’s like there are no boundaries between students and professors, that you can become really good friends with your lecturer or supervisor and it really impressed me.

So really do not be afraid to come to university. If I could ‘survive’ here despite all the changes and difficulties I had to face, you will find it really easy and exciting. Facing any problems I had only helped me to become more independent, responsible.  All the challenges helped me to grow up as a person.  If I would need to think again – where to go, which country or university to choose I would not change anything. I feel that this is definitely the place I have to be and hope that you will have this same feeling too.


Now I just need to expect that I will be able to enjoy the rest of the years of studies and I am sure it won`t be easy, but hope it will be exciting and I will be happy with what I am doing J

No comments:

Post a Comment