Pages

Friday 5 July 2013

BSc (Hons) Biological Science

Towsyn
Hi I’m Towsyn. I’ve just recently completed my degree in Biological Science at Greenwich. It was an amazing experience especially since I was a direct applicant who came in through clearing. I had completed previous years studying Biotechnology at Dublin City University in the Republic of Ireland. I didn’t like my course in Ireland and the people at Greenwich were nice enough to offer me a place in final year with my previous qualifications.

Everyone knows University of Greenwich is in Greenwich but don’t actually realise that the university has three campuses, two in London (Avery Hill in Eltham and Greenwich) and one in Chatham, Kent (Medway campus). Yeah I was really excited to move to London you know until I found out that my campus was based in Kent, as a science student. I wasn’t very happy about that as most of my friends were in London, but I went anyway and it turned out to be awesome. Medway is a really quiet town so it was ideal for studying. I lived on campus which was just perfect as I had easy access to my lectures and the library at all times. It was also really convenient for late night studying when needed (the library closed at 12am in term time and 3am during exams).

Final year is supposed to be the toughest and most stressful year of your undergraduate degree isn’t it? Not for me! This year happened to be the most “chilled” year for me as an undergraduate student. I was used to being bogged down with so much work in previous years but in Greenwich it was different. Don’t get me wrong I did have coursework to hand in every few weeks, exams to study for, tight deadlines, etc., but the help I got from the lecturers and classmates was immense. I had two three hour lectures a week in the first semester and same in the second semester (Monday and Thursday) plus a professional development module and dissertation, so there was a lot of study time and a long weekend (bliss J J), no excuses!

I particularly enjoyed the Pathophysiology of disease module as it gave us an insight into human disease, the causes, symptoms and treatment. I learned how to diagnose ailments from certain symptoms so it was really cool. I also liked it because there were no exams but we got to do case studies on different diseases and record our thoughts on them by relating different symptoms to possible illnesses. I’m more of a coursework person as opposed to exams as I tend to leave all my studying till last minute because of too much coursework, which is not advisable. I also enjoyed the Medical Microbiology module as we got to work in a group and create a wiki with information for a case study, and I was able to meet some great people who are my friends now, also this didn’t have any exams. As you can already tell, I got my highest marks in these. Hehe! The easiest 1st class grade I got had to be in the professional development module though. I really enjoyed evaluating myself and my future prospects. My employability skills have definitely been improved through this module.

I’ve only been here for 9 months and ideally I should be leaving but I will be staying to do my masters. So I will be here for an extra 12 months. Yay! I couldn’t imagine leaving the university just yet.


Toodles J J J

No comments:

Post a Comment