Pages

Friday 5 July 2013

BSc (Hons) Psychology with Counselling

Laura R
When I was about 17 I remember UCAS came to visit my school for a few sessions to talk about Universities, beforehand I had never even considered going but I knew I always wanted to be a counsellor to help people when they need it most. Once I started to search universities I found Greenwich and because I only lived in Dartford and wanted to stay at home this choice seemed perfect for me. I came to visit the university on an open day and absolutely fell in love with it and the lecturers I met on my course seemed really approachable and seemed passionate about the subject, so I went on to make an application but due to the high UCAS points I had massive doubts that I would get in. However, on A-Levels results day whilst I was in Florida (of all places) my nan called me up and told me I’d made it to Greenwich and now going on into my third year, I couldn't be happier J. So let me tell you a bit about my course and what you can expect to study/experience for the first year:

Research Methods & Statistics – You will be introduced to the wonderful world of statistics which I did find the most challenging as I have never been great with numbers; however the lecturers on this module are so helpful and approachable that you find yourself understanding things which previously you wouldn't have dreamed of understanding.

Introduction to Psychology- This course is designed to introduce you to all varying aspects of psychology such as social, biological, cognitive, abnormal etc. This course is full of variety and some parts you will prefer to others but it is great because you get to consider areas you previously may not have.
Introduction to Counselling- This year of counselling is all about introducing you to the theories and looking at the different aspects of each type of counselling approach.

APD – This is all about you! And psychology as well of course, here you get me meet your personal tutors and look at subject areas that interest you whilst working on the skills needed to do psychology.

So the first year is all about introduction and getting you set up for the next two years ahead.  In your second year you will have another four modules named: Brain Behaviour & Cognition, Developmental & Social, Abnormal & Individual Differences, and finally Research Methods & Statistics 2. The second year is a challenge as the work load is higher however the modules are so interesting and really can help you gain a more in depth insight into the world of psychology.


And now here we are I am just about to go into my third year and honestly cannot wait as I have heard a lot of good things about it. So I have made my choices which will be Exceptional Human Experience, Adult Mental Health and Health Psychology, as well as these I will be doing Counselling theory and also be training in how to be a counsellor. As well as this I will be doing my dissertation so I have a lot of work ahead of me but I know it will be worth it. To keep up to date with how the course is going for me and what you can expect check out my regular blog for monthly updates J

No comments:

Post a Comment