Pages

Thursday 25 October 2012

BA (Hons) Business Psychology

Denise
When I started looking at universities and university courses, I decided that, as I had always been good at Business Studies at school, the logical thing would be to do a business-related course. I saw plenty of “Business Management” and “Human Resource Management” courses across a number of universities, until eventually I stumbled upon Business Psychology at the University of Greenwich; there are two main reasons that I chose this combination:
One: I was born and raised in South East London, and, having made several trips to all over the world (from Shropshire to America, Eastbourne to Russia, etc.), the idea of living anywhere else but London was unthinkable to me. Greenwich is perfect; close enough to home so my mum doesn’t worry too much, yet very close to central London and a multitude of transport links should I ever wish to escape for a while.
Two: Despite having never studied psychology, it is definitely a subject that always interested me; Business Psychology is comprised of 25% psychology and 75% business – the perfect balance of what I’ve always found interesting and what I’ve always been good at :)
So, now here I am, third year in and I feel the course has been well designed overall :) All of the courses within the programme link together logically, and the psychology we are taught gets applied to business situations so the relevance is always clear :)
At the risk of stating the obvious, I must say that third year is far more intense than the first two years; the workload hits you right from the first fortnight and you are never at a loose end looking for things to do to pass the time! However, by this stage you should be fully prepared and able to organise your time effectively (remember, you will have had two years’ experience by this point!), so whilst busy and, at times, a little stressed, you shouldn’t feel too overwhelmed.
One thing that I do find sad is the fact that as this course is so new (when I enrolled, it was the first year that the University of Greenwich was running the course and there were only eight of us in the class!), it doesn’t receive nearly half as much interest as the older, more established business degrees. This is unfortunate, as because Business Psychology is such a new degree, I believe it is likely to stand out more to potential employers.
This degree is stressful like all others, but if you have a passion for business, a love for psychology and a willingness to work hard, this degree is definitely for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment