Pages

Tuesday 4 September 2012

BSc (Hons) Biomedical Sciences

Keerthana

I have currently finished my first year of the three years Biomedical Sciences BSc Hons programme at the University of Greenwich. I initially applied through UCAS to study Medicine, however as I didn’t quite achieve the grades I had hoped for in my A levels, I opted to study Biomedical Sciences instead, hoping it would build a good foundation with which I could apply for Medicine as a graduate. Although, I was very disheartened at first that I was unable to study medicine, reflecting on the past year has made me realise that I do not regret studying Biomedical Science one bit! If anything, studying Biomedical Science has expanded my knowledge in the science field, given me the opportunity to work in a professional laboratory and has motivated me more to pursue my ambition.

The first year of Biomedical Science compromises of 7 modules, each with a different number of credits:  Fundamentals of Biochemistry (30 credits), Fundamental Biology and Physiology (30 credits), Practical and Professional Skills (30 credits), Basic Chemistry for Life Sciences (15 credits), Introduction to Medical Science (15 credits). A typical week for all first years on this degree programme usually consists of lectures 2 days a week and 1/ 2 lab sessions in between. What’s good about the lectures taught at our university is that all the lectures are very interactive. We have a PRS system whereby the lecturer can ask us random questions about the topic that is taught in the lecture, which we can answer using a digital handset- this not only benefits the students as we can get immediate feedback from it, it also allows the lecturers to track our progress and identify those of us who are not paying attention! All the courses taught involve lab-based work to varying extents and are assessed through standard written exams and coursework. Online tests/quizzes are also provided- I found these particularly useful, as though the words ‘Online Tests’ may sound frightening, they do actually help you identify specific areas you need to focus more on. What struck me most about the teaching at this university is that all the lecturers are very friendly and are very willing to help whenever we need it.

Biomedical Science is taught on the Medway campus in Kent. Although it is rather quiet, there are many facilities nearby. The university provides on campus accommodation, which all have shared kitchens and en suite shower facilities. There are various cafĂ©’s on campus, Coopers (our student bar), Drill Hall Library (which is the longest library in Europe) and a gym/sports hall. Off campus, there is a cinema nearby and several shopping areas, such as those on Gillingham high street, Chatham and Dockside. The Bluewater shopping Centre is only a short 30 minute commute by train. The Chatham and Gillingham rail stations are a short 10 minute walk from the campus and there is an intercampus coach service available.

I really recommend anyone who is considering studying Biomedical Science to do so. Although it entails a lot of hard work and will always keep you on your toes, it will open your door to a wide range of opportunities in the future and is guaranteed to expand your knowledge in the science field.

No comments:

Post a Comment