Pages

Tuesday 4 September 2012

LLB (Hons) Law

Mel
I can remember having a few universities in mind but when I visited the University of Greenwich I instantly knew it was where I wanted to pursue my Law degree.

Having looked around the university on an open day, and not being from London myself, I was instantly impressed. I was overwhelmed by the Maritime Campus, the impressive buildings and the fact it sat perfectly adjacent to the Thames. The feeling of being a student at the University of Greenwich motivated me to work even harder for my A levels so I could both live and study in such a historical and beautiful part of London.  Soon after I was welcomed by a diverse team of student volunteers, all of whom were so very enthusiastic about the University and the courses it had to offer, I knew I would learn far more than merely enhancing my legal and academic skills at Greenwich. 

Not long after receiving my A levels and my university confirmation, it was time to move from South East England to South East London.  I arrived at my Halls of Residence, slightly anxious, but I was soon warmly welcomed by the Resident Assistants and by my new flat mates.  A few hours later, a welcome meeting was held at the University and a BBQ was held at the Students’ Union. Lots of information was given to us about the university, freshers week and local amenities within the Greenwich area. I enjoyed exploring Greenwich and I made very good use of the nightlife it had to offer. I applied for a part time job at the Students’ Union bar and my first shift started on the first week of term. I felt happy, excited and ready for the academic year to begin.

After an eventful freshers week, it was time for the lectures to begin. A lecturer told us straight, ‘if you do not want to work hard, do not study Law’. Another lecturer told us ‘if you cannot be a good student, then be a smart student’. These words of wisdom I never forgot. Within a few weeks, our first assignment had been given to us which was based on the undermining principles of contract law. As this counted towards my first year, I revised intensely until the in class exam was sat and until the next assignment was due. In the meantime I would continue to do the seminar work and do the recommended reading.  I realised it was important not to fall into the trap of trying to scrape through with a bare pass at the end. By working hard and receiving good grades throughout the year, not only is a lot of pressure taken off during the exam period but it looks good on your academic profile for yourself, for your lecturers and to show your future employers. It is extremely reassuring that you are virtually guaranteed acceptance into the next year with no re-takes, therefore having a well-deserved long summer break.

In my second and third year, I lived in a private property with my university friends in Eltham situated very near to the Avery Hill Campus. I continued my studies at the University of Greenwich and worked part time at the Students’ Union Bar in both Greenwich (Bar Latitude) and Avery Hill (Sparrows). I went to Sparrows on a regular basis with my friends, and they were some of the best nights of my student life which I will always remember and some of which, I will never remember. I partied hard but I studied harder, after all I was here primarily for one thing, to graduate with a well-earned Law degree.

As a law graduate, I can say with confidence that the lecturers in the law department are dedicated to their students and will go beyond measures to help you succeed. Most of the lecturers are qualified barristers and solicitors who have expertise and knowledge in the fields they teach beyond what you will require for your undergraduate studies. The lecturers will spend time with you in their surgery hours to read through your work and to help you succeed. They are the people with experience to seek advice about law schools and the next step in your legal career. 

There is something unique about the University of Greenwich, somewhat difficult to explain unless you have undertaken your studies here. I have felt very comfortable and safe within my studies, where additional help is always available if required. The diversity of students the university attracts is rewarding within itself because academically, socially and culturally I have learnt many different things. I have thoroughly enjoyed my student life at the University of Greenwich and it is, by far, a university I would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment